Under construction…literally the page and Frankie’s house is under construction so check the date posted on the title for new additions…to the post and to Frankie’s house.
To accommodate Frankie’s increasing size and weight we decided to go really, really big with the hopes this may be the last installment of Frankie houses.
Goals: Fit the growing Frankie, handle the brief but cold coast temperatures, have an area that has the comfort and security of a cave, and keep him happier outside all winter long. I wanted Frankie to be “in the light” during the day so he isn’t so miserable during cold spells, and when the temperatures are good Frankie can get outside without help. Our solution is a green house.
We decided on a Sunglo Greenhouse Kit, the Lean-To 5X7X7 (actual 5′ 1.5″ x 7′ 6″ x 7′ &”), priced at just over $2,600 (his last cost just over $1,000 and lasted about five years). This was an investment and, hey, we can grow winter veggies.
The Sunglo included fan, thermostat and shutters. Greg planned customizing the basic model for Frankie.
The one big add on: radiant floor heating. We believe this will make the Frankie shelter a 100% suitable for year round habitation.
I may move in with him. The greenhouse has electricity and WIFI.
Here is the installation
Footings as required by greenhouse specifications. Can’t say much except Greg and I are doing all the work ourselves….mostly Greg. I make the sandwiches.
Once the footings were down and cured it was time to set up and install the radiant floor heat.
Insulation was set on the bare ground.
Insulation is placed in preparation for the 120 volt heating cables.
Greg picked up the parts for the radiant heat floor from a company called WarmlyYours. He assembled everything himself. Greg set the heating cables evenly on a metal grid and attached electrics in preparation for the cement pour.
Grid with the heating cables are set on spacers on the insulation.
Once everything was in place the cement was poured and left to cure.
A week later the cement was cured enough to start the build. Frankie did a test walk to make sure.
Foundation brackets were drilled into the cement.
Drilling into cement was about the hardest part of the whole installation. Picking up the right tools and bits helped but it …read more
Read more here: Turtle Times